|Known Aliases:||Chucky, Lakeshore Strangler|
|Location:||Hackensack, New Jersey|
|Birth:||January 24th, 1950|
|Death:||November 9th, 1988|
|Portrayed By:||Brad Dourif|
|First Appearance:||Child's Play|
Charles Lee Ray, also known as the Lakeshore Strangler, was Chucky's original human form.
Charles was born to a Irish-American mother, who came from a wealthy family, but also worked as a bartender and dancer. His father was an Austrian immigrant father who was an alcoholic and would frequently abuse Charles and his mother.
Child's Play (1988)Charles is seen running away from the police, but was shot and fatally wounded by Detective Mike Norris. Before he died, he used the Heart of Damballa to transfer his soul to a Good Guy doll.
Bride of Chucky (1998)
With the fingerprints of Charles seen at recent murders, the police plan to excavate his corpse to find out what is going on. Before the coffin is opened, Chucky arrives with Jade to retrieve the Heart of Damballa around his neck.
Curse of Chucky (2013)
Before the events of the first film, Charles had a double life as a serial killer and a regular civilian. At one point, a mutual friend of his introduced him to a pregnant lady named Sarah, her husband Daniel, and their then-only daughter Barb.
Soon after, Daniel dies as a victim of drowning. After his death, Charles becomes increasingly obsessed with Sarah and about taking her husband's place. It's strongly implied that Charles was the one responsible for Daniel's death.
Soon, Charles' obsession increases, and intending not to let Sarah go, he ties her up on a bed inside his safe house, while his accomplice Eddie awaits in their van, outside. However, much to Charles' surprise, a bunch of police officers surround his safe house. Feeling betrayed by Sarah, since she was the one who managed to call the cops before he arrived, Charles stabs her in the belly, hitting the baby inside and injuring its spine, causing Nica to eventually be born paraplegic. Right after, Charles runs from the cops, intending to reach Eddie so they can escape, but Eddie drives away before Charles can reach him. Soon, he realizes that he is now being pursued by Detective Norris.
- His name is derived from the names of three notorious killers: Charles Manson, Lee Harvey Oswald, and James Earl Ray.
- Though his soul currently resides in a doll (therefore a different body), Chucky retains the same DNA as his original human form, revealed in Bride of Chucky, when a news report is heard about the fingerprints that we're found on a cigarette lighter (that Chucky used to kill a police officer) belonged to Charles Lee Ray, Chucky's former self before the night he was killed in 1988. This proves that even if a soul inhabits a different body, it genetically recreates its original shell.
- Charles seems to have a fixation on eyes. He commonly compliments peoples' eyes, and has told people to look into his eyes or to close their eyes before performing voodoo or a rhyme. In The Curse of Chucky (2013), two deaths involve eyes, although this is largely coincidental.
- In Curse of Chucky, Chucky avenged his death by killing Sarah, whom had inadvertenly set off the chain of events that occurred in the Child's Play franchise.
- It seems that the story of Charles Lee Ray becoming the killer doll has become a legend as a movie about him and Tiffany had been made in Hollywood, which occured nearly 20 years after Charles' killing spree as Chucky began.